You’ve seen baby car seats and know exactly what they are designed for, but have you ever come across a dog car seat? They do exist. Drugs, just like human beings, need to be safe when the car is moving, and since they cannot be strapped into the safety belts, a dog car seat is the only thing that ensures you and your lovely dog enjoy a good and comfortable ride.
If you have been thinking of getting a dog car seat but have no clue where to begin, then you are in the right place. We are going to look at the best car dog seats around, the principle behind them, the installation process, where to buy them on the cheap, the factors to consider when choosing them, as well as go over some FAQs. So sit back and relax and let me take you on this informative journey to the very end.
Which Dog Car Seat Is the Best?
There are countless brands that make very reliable dog car seats around the world. Finding the right one that suits the needs of your dog and the car can be hard, and this is why we researched the best ones and compiled this exhaustive list for you.
If you are looking for an extensive seat cover that will ensure none of that dog fur is left on your clean seats, then this amazing Waterproof Nylon Delicate Front Seat Dog Cover will handle your needs. It is ideal for long distances, and to ensure your dog is comfortable throughout, the seat cover is soft. The dog can choose to lie down through the whole journey, giving you the space and peace of mind to concentrate on the road ahead.
- High-quality material
- Soft and comfortable
- Extensive and big enough for a medium-sized dog
- Highly durable
- Waterproof construction that stops liquids from seeping through to the seats
The PupSaver Booster Car Seat is one of the most secure car seats around and the fact that it has seen an increase in popularity means it is very effective. The rear-facing design almost resembles an infant car seat but it is more robust than it looks. It has an SRS system that pulls the upper part of the seat down to close it like a clamshell when there’s a collision. This feature alongside other ones have led to this particular dog car seat receiving high ratings from the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in crash tests.
- SRS collision detection system
- Great construction
- Comfortable design
- Doubles up as a travel bed
The Kurgo Skybox Booster has been described by those that have used it as one of the best boosters around that will help you travel with your dog without any incident. The installation process is very easy, and it can fold up neatly when not in use and fit into tiny spaces. The height of the whole seat can also be adjusted to fit the size of the dog, giving your pet a good view of the outdoors without putting it at risk. It also comes with highly dependable harnesses that are compatible with all car seats.
- Height adjustable
- Strong harnesses
- Compatible with all car seats
If you are low on the funds, but you need a reliable dog car seat that gets the job done at half the price, then the Outward Hound PupBoost Car Seat is your best bet. It is compatible with most family cars, and this means you can have everyone fit in alongside the dog for that quick road trip to the beach. It comes with a hammock-style design that offers the dog comfort throughout the drive while keeping it safe from any injuries. It has a number of safety features that are easy to install and hold the entire contraption as securely as possible.
- Comfortable hammock style design
- Easy installation
- Adjustable safety clips
- Elevated design that allows the dog to lookout
When it comes to versatility, nothing beats the PetGear Bucket Booster Seat. It is the ideal dog car seat to go with when you have a pair of dogs that are simply inseparable. It is very comfortable, secure and it comes with a well-padded interior that ensures the dogs are comfortable even when you hit bumps on the road. It can be installed easily by fixing it to the seatbelt through a bottom groove. The interior comes in different color options and is both removable and machine washable.
- Ideal for multiple dogs
- Well-padded interior
- Removable and machine-washable covers
- Secure fit
The Queens Nose Dog Car Seat will have your dog napping quietly throughout the whole journey because of how comfortable the dog car seat is. It is ideal for small dogs with a weight capacity ranging between 10 lbs to 30 lb. It is lined with fluffy pillows that act as shock absorbers when the car gets into a collision or runs over bumpy roads.
At the same time, the carrier can be used as a dog bed on long journeys. It is a very comfortable dog car seat that can serve multiple other functions, and this makes it a very good value for money.
- Extra cushions for extra protection
- Comfortable design
- Tiny and portable
- It doubles up as a carrier and bed
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Dog Car Seats
When choosing a dog car seat for your lonely pet, there are things you have to pay close attention to in order to get the best one. They include the following.
- Safety Features: car dog seats are subject to crash tests to determine how they would hold up in a real situation. A good car dog seat should be well cushioned to protect against impacts, and it should have well-secured harnesses that ensure the seat stays in place no matter what.
- Compatibility: You must get a dog car seat that is compatible with the seats in your car. This means the harness and the seat belts have to fit into the slots already present in the car. This is the only way the seat can be well secured.
- Ease of Installation: You don’t want to be stuck with a dog car seat that’s too complicated to set up or remove. This may inconvenience you every time you want to go for an impromptu drive. Go for something that is straightforward as far as installation and removal are concerned. It should be a quick 30-sec affair.
- Size and Comfort: The size of the dog car seat should be determined by the size of the dog. Bigger dogs will require bigger and heavier seats, while smaller dogs can make do with little portable carriers. The size of your car is also another factor to keep in mind. It would be hard to fit a huge dog seat in the back of a small car.
- Maintenance: How often can the seat and the cover be cleaned? Is it lint and fur proof? These are the questions you need to address when hunting for a dog car seat. You need to get one that doesn’t need to be washed every day as that may amount to a lot of unnecessary work.
Working Principle of Dog Seat Belts
Dog car seat belts come in varying sizes depending on the size of the dog. There are bigger ones for big dogs and vice versa. The main question here now is whether these seat belts really work or they are just for show.
Do Dog Seat Belts Really Work?
Yes, dog seat belts do work, and they will keep your dog from getting injured or worse in case of an accident on the road. They typically function in the same way as regular seat belts for humans or dog seats for toddlers. The reason why you need dog seat belts include the following:
- Dogs can be very enthusiastic in moving cars, and if you happen to leave the window open, they may jump out, and this could end very badly.
- Seat belts stop the dogs from hanging their heads outside, and they can be hit by external debris.
- Airbags can injure a dog sitting in the front seat without a harness as they will be too close to the dashboard.
- A loose dog in the backseat is even more dangerous as it automatically becomes a projectile during an impact. It could fly to the front, injuring people, or fly through the windscreen leading to injuries and worse.
How Does a Dog Car Seat Work?
You can use a dog car seat to secure your pet dog when both of you are inside the car. A car seat works by securing the dog in one place to avoid movements around the car when in motion. Unlike humans, dogs can be a little playful or hard to take in commands, and the excitement of being in a moving vehicle can make them lose control, and that can be dangerous. These dog seats are fastened to the normal car seat, and they stop the dog from moving an inch until the car reaches its destination.
How to Install Dog Car Seat Cover
Most car seats come completely pre-made. There are no additions you need or any complicated adjustments required for it to work. However, installing it in the car to suit the needs of your dog will need some extra things which can be handled easily. The following is a step-by-step guide on how you can install a dog car seat.
- Connect the straps that every dog seat comes with. Some dog car seats designed for smaller dogs have one strap, while those for bigger dogs have 2. These straps are standardized to fit into the car’s lap seat belt. If you want, you can leave the straps in place for the next time you go for another drive.
- Attach the seat belt by pulling it through the backside of the dog car seat. Take the end of the seat belt and fit it into the belt latch to finally secure the entire contraption. You can check to see if it is secure by giving it a gentle pull and shake.
- Attach the quick connector from the dog car seat to the small harness that has a ring. This quick connector is usually metallic. You should check the tightness of the strap attached to the quick connector and ensure it is just as you want it to be. This will hold the dog in place without squeezing it too much.
How to Wash Dog Car Seat Cover
A dog car seat needs to be cleaned as regularly as possible otherwise you will be forced to deal with odors inside the car over a long period of time. A dog shades a lot of fur and dander on the seats and this has to be cleaned off every time you go for a ride. The following is a detailed guide on how to get this done efficiently.
What you Need
- A vacuum cleaner with a handheld attachment.
- A washing machine
- Cleaning detergents
- Baking soda
- A scrubbing brush
Step1: Dry Vacuuming
Dog fur is very clingy, and if you choose to only use a brush, you will not succeed in clearing everything off. In fact, you may end up making things worse as it would stick more to the seat covers. The ideal way of dealing with this stubborn fur is dry vacuuming before washing the covers. A handheld vacuum attachment would get this done more efficiently within minutes, and it will get rid of all fibers.
Step 2: Washing
With the fur and the link gone, place the dog car seat cover into the washing machine for proper cleaning. Add a carpet shampoo or detergent to the mix and let the process run to the very end. This should get rid of the odors.
Step 3: Scrubbing
There are some stains that will survive the washing machine, and this is the stage where you deal with them. You can take a good scrubber and manually clean the spots that still have stains splattered all over them. You can add some baking soda to the stains to get them out. Allow the mix to sit overnight, then rinse the cover in the morning and air it out. It would now be ready for the next drive.
Where Can I Buy a Dog Car Seat
There are many places where you can buy a dog seat; the trick is to know who has the most reliable products. Towards that end, consider sourcing all your dog car seat needs from Guangzhou Xiaochaoxiaocheng Science and Technology Ltd. We are a leading manufacturer of all pet-related products that would make the life of you and your pet comfortable. Benefits of sourcing your car dog seats from us include the following:
- Certified and tested products that meet the needed safety standards.
- Great and affordable prices without compromising on the quality.
- Reliable customer support that handles any problem that may crop up with our products.
For more information, feel free to get in touch with us through the following address:
Guangzhou Xiaochaoxiaocheng Science and Technology Ltd
619 Room, No. 58, Zhuji Road, Tianhe District
Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, China
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What’s the safest car seat for a dog?
The ideal seat for your dog is the back seat, where there’s more space for securing them in their own dog seats. You should never travel with the dog in the front seat as it can cause distractions and lead to an accident. The front seat is too small and too close to the driver, and that’s a recipe for disaster.
2. Are booster car seats safe for dogs?
Booster seats are only good for medium to small dogs that are below 20 lbs. They may be designed for use on all seats in the car, but when used with a big dog, they tend to fail at properly protecting them from sudden movements. If you have a huge dog, stick to proper dog car seats that can handle all that size and weight.
Dog car seats are necessary if you ever plan to travel with your dog in the car. In fact, in some places around the world, it is an office to travel without one. There are many options in the market that you can turn to for your needs. In case of any questions or concerns, feel free to check out our website, we will be happy to address all of them to the best of our ability.